Skip to content
Interesting Facts about Human Body
- A human being loses an average of 40 to 100 strands of hair a day.
- A cough releases an explosive charge of air that moves at speeds up to 60mph.
- Every time you lick a stamp, you consume 1/10 of a calorie.
- A fetus acquires fingerprints at the age of three months.
- A sneeze can exceed the speed of 100 mph.
- Every person has a unique tongue print.
- According to German researchers, the risk of heart attack is higher on Monday than any other day of the week.
- After spending hours working at a computer display, look at a blank piece of white paper. It will probably appear pink.
- An average human drinks about 16,000 gallons of water in a lifetime.
- A fingernail or toenail takes about 6 months to grow from base to tip.
- An average human scalp has 100,000 hairs.
- It takes 17 muscles to smile and 43 to frown.
- Babies are born with 300 bones, but by adulthood, we only have 206 in our bodies.
- Beards are the fastest growing hairs on the human body. If the average man never trimmed his beard, it would grow to nearly 30 feet long in his lifetime.
- By age sixty, most people have lost half of their taste buds.
- By the time you turn 70, your heart will have beat some two-and-a-half billion times (figuring on an average of 70 beats per minute).
- Each square inch of human skin consists of twenty feet of blood vessels.
- Every human spent half an hour as a single cell.
- Every square inch of the human body has an average of 32 million bacteria on it.
- Fingernails grow faster than toenails.
- Humans shed about 600,000 particles of skin every hour, about 1.5 pounds a year. By 70 years of age, an average person will have lost 105 pounds of skin.
- At rest, a person breathes about 14 to 16 times per minute. After exercise it could increase to over 60 times per minute.
- New babies at rest breathe between 40 and 50 times per minute. By age five it decreases to around 25 times per minute.
- The total surface area of the alveoli (tiny air sacs in the lungs) is the size of a tennis court.
- The lungs are the only organ in the body that can float on water.
- The lungs produce a detergent-like substance which reduces the surface tension of the fluid lining, allowing air in.
- Your heart is about the same size as your fist.
- An average adult body contains about five quarts of blood.
- All the blood vessels in the body joined end to end would stretch 62,000 miles or two and a half times around the earth.
- The heart circulates the body’s blood supply about 1,000 times each day.
You may also like...