Knowledge is Really Amusing
- FORTNIGHT comes from ‘Fourteen Nights’ (Two Weeks).
- POP MUSIC is ‘Popular Music’ shortened.
- MOPED is the short term for ‘Motorized Pedaling’.
- BUS is the short term for ‘Omnibus’ that means everybody.
- DRAWING ROOM was actually a ‘withdrawing room’ where people withdrew after Dinner. Later the prefix ‘with’ was dropped..
- NEWS refers to information from Four directions
N, E, W, and S.
- AG-MARK, which some products bear, stems from ‘Agricultural Marketing’.
- QUEUE comes from ‘Queen’s Quest’. Long back a long row of people as waiting to see the Queen. Someone made the comment Queen’s Quest..
- JOURNAL is a diary that tells about ‘Journey for a day’ during each Day’s business.
- TIPS come from ‘To Insure Prompt Service’. In olden days to get Prompt service from servants in an inn, travelers used to drop coins in a Box on which was written ‘To Insure Prompt Service’. This gave rise to the custom of Tips.
- JEEP is a vehicle with unique Gear system. It was invented during World War II (1939-1945). It was named ‘General Purpose Vehicle (GP)’.GP was changed into JEEP later.
- Coca-Cola was originally green.
- The most common name in the world is Mohammad..
- The name of all the continents end with the same letter that they start with Asia, America, Australia, Europe
- The strongest muscle in the body is the TONGUE.
- TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using the letters only on one row of the keyboard.
- Women BLINK nearly twice as much as men!!
- You can’t kill yourself by holding your breath.
- It is impossible to lick your elbow.
- Wearing HEADPHONES for just an hour will increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.
- It is physically impossible for PIGS to look up into the sky.
- The "sixth sick sheik’s sixth sheep’s sick" is said to be the toughest tongue twister in the English language.
- Each KING in a deck of playing cards represents a great king from history.
Spades – King David
Clubs – Alexander the Great,
Hearts – Charlemagne
Diamonds – Julius Caesar.
- What do bullet proof vests, fire escapes, windshield wipers and laser printers all have in common?
Ans. – All invented by women.
- A CROCODILE cannot stick its tongue out.
- A SNAIL can sleep for three years.
- All POLAR BEARS are left handed.
- BUTTERFLIES taste with their feet.
- ELEPHANTS are the only animals that can’t jump.
- In the last 4000 years, no new ANIMALS have been domesticated.
- STEWARDESSES is the longest word typed with only the left hand.
- The human HEART creates enough pressure when it pumps out to the body to squirt blood 30 feet.
- RATS multiply so quickly that in 18 months, two rats could have over million descendants.
- People say "BLESS YOU" when you sneeze because when you sneeze, your heart stops for a millisecond.
- If you SNEEZE too hard, you can fracture a rib. If you try to suppress a sneeze, you can rupture a blood vessel in your head or neck and die. So good to bless the sneezing person.
You may also like...